I have never participated in OWLs or NEWTs, but I wanted to give it a whirl this year. NEWTs is going to take place August 1-31. The creator, Book Roast, created this incredible readathon, and there is no way I am not participating every year from here on out. It is inspired by Harry Potter, but you do not need to read the books/watch the movies to participate! This readathon will also give me a reason to read some of the ARCs I have on Netgalley.
Link to the NEWTs video! Link to the explanation of the readathon. She has all of the extra links in the description of her video to the career guidebook and the prompts. There is also a forbidden book that the participants can group read.
This is going to be a very, very rough draft of what I’ll be reading for each prompt. I will have multiple options for each one. Things can always change, but these are all book I really want to read!
Confidence – Problem Solving – Toughness
As a healer I have to receive an E in all of the required classes. That means I have to read two books for each one. There is Herbology, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Potions, and Transfiguration.
– Herbology –
A: Mandrake! Quick put your headphones on! Listen to an audiobook (if not – green cover.)
- Wildflower by Drew Barrymore – 288 pages (~7 hours)
- Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey – (~8 hrs 33 mins)
E: Read a book between 350-390 pages
- Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware – 384 pages *Digital ARC from Netgalley / Gallery, Pocket Books*
- Trophy Life by Lea Geller – 364 pages
- One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski – 352 pages *Digital ARC from Netgalley / Harlequin – Graydon House Books*
– Charms –
A: Read a book you think has a gorgeous cover
- The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary – 400 pages
- The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates – 256 pages *Digital ARC from Netgalley / Random House*
- Ellie and the Harpmaker by Hazel Prior – 336 pages *DIgital ARC from Netgalley / Berkley
E: Read a coming/graphic novel/manga (or book under 150 pages)
- Paper Girls Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan – 128 pages
- The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O’Neill – 72 pages
– Defense Against the Dark Arts –
A: A book that is black under the dust jacket
E: Gilderoy’s memory charm – Grab a pen! First book you just remembered from your TBR
- The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo – 384 pages
– Potions –
A: Pollyjuice Potion: Read your friend’s favorite book!
- Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb – 435 pages
E: House ingredient: Book with a cover in your Hogwarts house color
- Recursion by Blake Crouch – 336 pages
- Meet Cute by Helena Hunting – 384 pages
- I Was Here by Rachel Kadish – 116 pages
– Transfiguration –
A: Read a book with LGBTQA+ Rep
- A Lesson in Thorns by Sierra Simone – 343 pages
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers – 423 pages
E: Read a book that’s not first in a series
I have read 10 books in a month before, and there is absolutely no reason I can’t do it again. I do have a few back-up careers planned, but I am going to work really hard to get this one. If you want to stay updated with what I am reading, then follow me on all of my social media which will be linked below!
– Let me know if you are participating and what career you are shooting for. –
If you enjoyed this, then give it a like and follow my blog. Be respectful and happy reading!